Are you concerned about students in your class who can decode but have little or no understanding of what they have read? Current research indicates that we should be explicitly teaching reading comprehension strategies to students.
This workshop takes this research and turns it into classroom practice. It is based on Sheena’s experience of teaching strategies in a real classroom. It answers questions such as, ‘Are the strategies hierarchical? How long should I spend teaching each strategy? and ‘Do I teach them to the whole class or in groups?
The workshop will also cover:
• Current reading comprehension research
• Clarification of the strategies
• A model for how to introduce strategies
• Student activities that support strategy teaching
• Practical examples of recording on-going learning
You can download the flyer here
To register visit www.qassp.org.au and type “Teaching Reading” in the search window, or telephone 07 3852 3411.
QASSP Leadership Centre
29 Baxter Street
Fortitude Valley QLD